Palo Verde in Imperial County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Near this spot,situated on the west bank of the Colorado river, about 45 miles of fort Yuma, Fort Gaston was established in 1859 by Captain Henry S. Burton, Company F 3rd Artillery. The Camp served as a supply post for the Hoffman Exposition in connection with the new establishment of Fort Mojave in Arizona. Supplies, including two mountain Howitzers, were transported by the two riverboats Colorado and General Jessup. This camp was used intermittently as late as 1868. The camp was named in honor of 2nd Lieutenant William Gaston who was killed in action against the Spokane Indians in 1859. Fort Gaston in Humbolt County, which operated at the same time, was also named for Lieutenant Gaston.
Plaque placed by the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
John P. Squibob Chapter 1853, Ca. and Lost Dutchman Chapter 5917+4 Az.
In cooperation with the Fort Gaston Historical Society, Palo Verde, Ca.
October, 18, 2014
Erected 2014 by E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 33° 25.78′ N, 114° 43.944′ W. Marker is in Palo Verde, California, in Imperial County. Marker is on Ben Hulse Hwy (Route 78), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palo Verde CA 92266, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colorado River Ferries (approx. 5.7 miles away in Arizona); Cibola Arizona (was approx. 5.7 miles away in Arizona but has been reported missing. ); Taylor's Ferry (was approx. 6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); 390th Bomb Group (H) (approx. 12.8 miles away); Wiley Well (approx. 15.8 miles away).
Additional keywords. ecv
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2015, by Keith B. Dodds of Maricopa, Az.. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 65 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 26, 2015, by Keith B. Dodds of Maricopa, Az.. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.