Pearl S. Buck
Author, Activist and Humanitarian
Pearl S. Buck was born in West Virginia but lived the first 40 years of her life in China, as the daughter of Presbyterian missionaries. The second 40 years of her life, she lived here on this beautiful property, known as Green Hills Farm. Originally 48 acres and purchased for $4,100 in 1934, the property is currently 67 acres.
Today, the property consists of Pearl S. Buck’s expanded stone farmhouse, built in 1825, the original 1735 homestead, now known as the Cottage, the barn, now known as the Cultural Center, and the Welcome Center and office building, built in 1987, along with a maintenance building. You will also discover the milk house, later a play house for the children, on the property. The water garden and two working greenhouses were built by Pearl S. Buck during her life time. The sculptures were added after her passing.
Pearl S. Buck raised on birth daughter and seven
Pearl S. Buck passed away on March 6, 1973, at 80 years of age. She is buried, as requested, here on the grounds of her National Historic Landmark home. Near the entrance to the property, you will find her gravesite etched with Chinese characters of her birth name. A nearby stream and benches provide a quite place for contemplation.
Pearl S. Buck dedicated her life to opening doors of understanding between Asian and Western cultures and helping children who faced discrimination, poverty, and disabilities. Her legacy and dreams continue to this day on this property and around the globe.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 40° 21.573′ N, 75° 13.188′ W. Marker is in Perkasie, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on Dublin Road. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of Green Hill Farm. Marker is at or near this postal address: 520 Dublin Road, Perkasie PA 18944, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Asian Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 27, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.