Culpeper in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number F-3.)
Location. 38° 27.283′ N, 78° 0.05′ W. Marker is in Culpeper, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is on Orange Street (Business U.S. 15) south of Old Fredericksburg Road (Virginia Route 3), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1931 Orange Road, Culpeper VA 22701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Col. John Jameson ( approx. 0.8 miles away); Mount Pony Signal Station ( approx. 0.9 miles away); Culpeper Minute Men ( approx. one mile away); Seventh Ohio Regiment ( approx. 1.2 miles away); Second Massachusetts Infantry ( approx. 1.2 miles away); 10th Maine Volunteer Infantry ( approx. 1.2 miles away); 28th Regiment New York State Volunteer Infantry ( approx. 1.2 miles away); Pennsylvania ( approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Culpeper.
Regarding Greenwood. Greenwood is a private residence. It is still owned by the Green family. John William Green (b ca.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. “Shaded by ancient oaks and facing westward towards a vista of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Greenwood, a small yet elegant 19th-century plantation house, is set in the middle of a small farm on the outskirts of the town of Culpeper, Virginia.”
“... on August 24, 1825, Lafayette, his son, former President James Monroe, and other dignitaries ... were entertained at a reception at Greenwood. The party had come to Culpeper following a visit with James Madison at “Montpelier” in Orange County. Before proceeding to Culpeper Courthouse, the Marquis was formally presented to his escort of honor on the lawn of Greenwood.” (Submitted on June 29, 2008.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.