Near Midland in Midland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created March 4, 1885
Organized March 25, 1885
Named for its location which is halfway between Ft. Worth and El Paso.
County Seat Midland
First named Midway
Erected 1936 by State of Texas.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 0.848′ N, 102° 0.08′ W. Marker is near Midland, Texas, in Midland County. Marker is on Interstate 20 at milepost 142, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in eastbound rest area. Marker is in this post office area: Midland TX 79706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marcy Trail (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brown-Dorsey House (approx. 4.3 miles away); John Valentine Pliska (approx. 4.4 miles away); Midland's First House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Site of “The Staked Plains” (approx. 4.4 miles away); Former Site of Midland National Bank (approx. 4.4 miles away); Site of Midland County's First Bank (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Yucca Theatre (approx. 4.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Midland.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.