Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chapel Hill in Orange County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Carolina Coffee Shop

A Town Heritage Site

 
 
Carolina Coffee Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
July 22, 2015
1. Carolina Coffee Shop Marker
Inscription. John Sprunt Hill bought this block of buildings in the 1920's and donated it in parcels to UNC from 1947-51 with the stipulation that rent monies fund the North Carolina Collection at the library of the University which is still in effect to this day. The Carolina Coffee Shop, the oldest original restaurant in town, was established in 1922.
 
Erected by The Chapel Hill Historical Society, Preservation Society of Chapel Hill.
 
Location. 35° 54.813′ N, 79° 3.257′ W. Marker is in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of East Franklin Street and Old Fraternity Row, on the right when traveling east on East Franklin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 138 East Franklin Street, Chapel Hill NC 27514, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Journey of Reconcilation (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Silent Sam (about 600 feet away); Elizabeth Cotten (approx. 0.9 miles away); Last Shots (approx. 3.8 miles away); Harriet M. Berry (approx. 4.2 miles away); O'Kelly Chapel Christian Church
Carolina Coffee Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
July 22, 2015
2. Carolina Coffee Shop Marker
(approx. 7 miles away); James E. Shepard (approx. 7.9 miles away); John Merrick (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chapel Hill.
 
Also see . . .  Carolina Coffee Shop. (Submitted on August 3, 2015.)
 
Categories. EducationIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 167 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement