Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stanton in Martin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Connell House

 
 
Connell House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
1. Connell House Marker
Inscription. Constructed in 1882 as a two-room home for Carmelite Priests, this was the first building in Stanton. Dennis and Mary (Stoeger) Connell made their home here after their marriage in 1902. Mary bore eight children in the house, which grew with the family. By 1915 the house had five rooms, with more additions made in the 1920s and 1930s. The simple home features a distinctive west gable, weatherboard siding, a front porch with shed room and turned-wood posts, and double primary entry doors. Upon the death of the last Connell daughter in 1990 the house was transferred to the local historical museum.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1997
 
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12046.)
 
Location. 32° 7.993′ N, 101° 47.344′ W. Marker is in Stanton, Texas, in Martin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Convent Street and East Carpenter Street, on the right when traveling north on North Convent Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stanton TX 79782, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carmelite Monastery (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of St. Joseph's Church
Connell House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
2. Connell House Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Stanton Church of Christ (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marienfeld (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Stanton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Martin County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. E. Millhollon Ranch House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Midland County's First Producing Oil Well (approx. 15.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanton.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Connell House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
3. Connell House
Connell House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
4. Connell House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement