Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stanton in Martin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church of Stanton

 
 
First United Methodist Church of Stanton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
1. First United Methodist Church of Stanton Marker
Inscription. Early Methodists in Stanton shared a Union church building with area Baptists. In 1904, following a local revival, nine individuals formed a separate Methodist congregation. The Rev. J.A. Sweeney, a Conference-appointed pastor, came the next year. In 1907, the church built its first sanctuary. The membership grew, and churches in the nearby communities of Lenorah and Courtney merged into the congregation. During its first century, the congregation added new facilities to accommodate growing needs, and church activities included a women's group, music ministries, youth fellowship, and other educational and outreach programs.
 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13039.)
 
Location. 32° 7.846′ N, 101° 47.297′ W. Marker is in Stanton, Texas, in Martin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Saint Anna Street and North Convent Street, on the left when traveling east on East Saint Anna Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 East Saint Anna Street, Stanton TX 79782, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stanton Church of Christ (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marienfeld
First United Methodist Church of Stanton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
2. First United Methodist Church of Stanton Marker
(about 800 feet away); Connell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Martin County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of St. Joseph's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carmelite Monastery (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. E. Millhollon Ranch House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Midland County's First Producing Oil Well (approx. 15 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanton.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First United Methodist Church of Stanton image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
3. First United Methodist Church of Stanton
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement