Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Redford Township in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Redford Township School District No. 9

 
 
Redford Township School District No. 9 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 30, 2015
1. Redford Township School District No. 9 Marker
Inscription. In 1874, Redford Township School District No. 9 bought an acre of land from Eugenius and Abigail Hodge and erected this school. Named Beech School, it served the Beech Park settlement that sprang up here adjacent to the Detroit, Lansing & Lake Michigan Railroad. The school was built to accommodate sixty children--although only fifty residents lived in the settlement at the time--and was the largest in the township. Classes were held in Beech School until 1952. The building has housed meetings of the Masonic lodge and the Boy Scouts of America, served as school offices and storage facilities, and as the headquarters for the Association of Retarded Citizens. In 1988 the South Redford School District sold the property to a private developer.
 
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1826.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 22.589′ N, 83° 17.731′ W. Marker is in Redford Township, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Beech-Daly Road and Capitol Street, on the left when traveling north on Beech-Daly Road. Touch for map. The marker is in front of the Post
Redford Township School District No. 9 Marker - back side image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 30, 2015
2. Redford Township School District No. 9 Marker - back side
Office at the Redford Trade Center on the service drive, just west of Beech-Daly Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12245 Beech-Daly Road, Redford MI 48239, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wallaceville School (approx. 2 miles away); Wilson Barn (approx. 2.1 miles away); Cooper School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Perrinsville (approx. 3.4 miles away); A Nankin Pioneer (approx. 3.8 miles away); Henry Ford's Honeymoon House (approx. 4 miles away); Perrinsville School (approx. 4 miles away); Nankin Mills (approx. 4.3 miles away).
 
Regarding Redford Township School District No. 9. Redford Township School District No. 9 was torn down sometime after the South Redford School District sold the property to a private developer in 1988.
 
Categories. Education
 
Redford Township School District No. 9 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 30, 2015
3. Redford Township School District No. 9 Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement