Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Original Saint Mary's Church

 
 
The Original Saint Mary's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 1, 2015
1. The Original Saint Mary's Church Marker
Inscription. About eighty feet to the west of this site the original Saint Mary's Church was constructed between 1794–1796 by father Francis Neale, S. J., at the corner of what is now Washington and Church Streets. It was the first catholic church in the commonwealth of Virginia and it served the few Catholics of area until 1810. This cemetery is an outgrowth of that early church. The land was donated by a protestant gentleman, Robert T. Hooe.

Prominent in the beginnings of Saint Mary's Parish was Colonel John Fitzgerald, aide-de-camp to General George Washington. We are told that General Washington was among the many men, both protestant and Catholic who contributed toward the construction of Saint Mary's.

This monument is dedicated to the memory of the many priests who served Saint Mary's Parish since its beginning.

Joseph Wingle Pastor
William T. Reinecke, assistant in charge of Cemetery.
November, 1968
 
Location. 38° 47.679′ N, 77° 2.903′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on Church Street east of South Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. In Saint Mary's Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
The Original Saint Mary's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 1, 2015
2. The Original Saint Mary's Church Marker
distance of this marker. First Catholic Church in Virginia (within shouting distance of this marker); Freedmen’s Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial (about 300 feet away); Former USCT Burial Ground (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial (about 500 feet away); Jones Point (about 800 feet away); The Lost Village of Cameron at Great Hunting Creek (approx. ¼ mile away); Battery Rodgers (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
The Original Saint Mary's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 1, 2015
3. The Original Saint Mary's Church Marker
The Original Saint Mary's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 1, 2015
4. The Original Saint Mary's Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 2, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement