In the 1920's Cameron boasted over 40 trains a day and three active stations, including the elaborate Cameron Junction, described as one of the most popular and elegant eating houses in the West.
Two Cameron men are credited with initiating the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, the first to cross Missouri. State Senator George Smith petitioned the legislature, while Col. M.F. Tiernan surveyed the route. Seventy five railroaders shared ten gallons of whiskey for completing the line by Valentine's Day, 1858.
A second branch of the Hannibal & St. Joseph was built in 1867 and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific became Cameron's third rail line in 1871. The North Missouri railroad, from St. Louis to St. Joseph, also used the tracks for a period of time.
The depot on this site was erected in 1898 and had separate waiting rooms for men and women.
By 1955 the number of trains had dwindled to five a day, and the tracks were removed in the mid 1980's.
Erected by Cameron Historical Society and Randall and Barbara Relford.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chicago Rock Island & Pacific Railway marker series.
Location. 39° 44.423′ N, 94° 14.146′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Missouri
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1st Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade (approx. ¼ mile away); John T. Walker (approx. ¼ mile away); DeKalb County (approx. 12.2 miles away); DeKalb County Veterans Memorial (approx. 12.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Cameron (MO) Historical Society Depot & Museum. (Submitted on August 4, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Rock Island's Original Route. (Submitted on August 4, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. The Hannibal and Saint Joseph Railroad. (Submitted on August 4, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 4, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.