Near Cardinal in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
St. Paul's Church
In 1828 Richard Duncan Fraser, the son of an early Loyalist settler, Captain Thomas Fraser, donated land here for the building of a church to serve the Anglicans in this area. Their minister, the Reverend J.G. Weagandt, the missionary stationed at Williamsburg, was the former Lutheran who had become embroiled in a bitter local controversy when, in 1812, he persuaded his congregations in Williamsburg and Osnabruck to adopt the Anglican faith. Under his guidance, a stone church was erected here by 1833. Despite the efforts of other early pastors, the Rev. J.G.B. Lindsay and the Rev. E. Boswell, the congregation remained small. In 1872 a new St. Paul's Church was built in nearby Cardinal and, except for this tower, the old structure was taken down.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation.
Location. 44° 48.069′ N, 75° 21.797′ W. Marker is near Cardinal, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Provincial Highway 2, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located 1 mile east of Cardinal. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 Ontario Route 2, Cardinal, Ontario K0E 1E0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 kilometers of this marker, measured The Founding of Cardinal (approx. 2 kilometers away); Honor Roll World War II (approx. 8.7 kilometers away in the U.S.); Johnstown 1789 (approx. 10.2 kilometers away); Eastern Ontario's First Court House and Gaol (approx. 10.2 kilometers away); Welcome to the Site of The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 13.2 kilometers away); The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 13.2 kilometers away); a different marker also named The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 13.2 kilometers away); Nicholas "Nic" Sovie USMC (approx. 13.3 kilometers away in the U.S.).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.