Stewart Settlement House
Stewart House was organized during depression of 1921 to provide social services for Gary’s black community. A vital neighborhood center for unemployed WWI veterans and southern blacks who migrated for jobs in steel mills, it helped thousands adjust to urban life. Services included lodging and meals, as well as legal, medical, and employment advice. Moved here, 1925.
U.S. Steel, with an interest in regulating its workers, helped fund the settlement house, designed by architect W.W. Cooke. The Methodist Episcopal Church and Gary’s blacks also donated funds. Rev. Frank Delaney guided its development as superintendent, 1920-1939, and made it a source of pride for blacks. During Great Depression, it aided hundreds daily. Closed 1970s.
Erected 2014 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Indiana Landmarks, and Christ United Methodist Church. (Marker Number 45.2014.2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 35.271′ N, 87° 20.13′ W. Marker is in Gary, Indiana, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of East Massachusetts Street and West 15th Avenue, on the right when traveling
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Froebel School (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. John's Lutheran Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Dutch in the Calumet Region (approx. 5.9 miles away); Hobart (Indiana) Patriotic Honor Rolls (approx. 6 miles away); Great Sauk (Sac) Trail (approx. 7.1 miles away); First Physician (approx. 7.4 miles away); Ogden Dunes Ski Jump (approx. 7.9 miles away); Willow Creek Confrontation (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gary.
Also see . . . John Stewart Settlement House - Indiana Methodist Churches. (Submitted on August 11, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • African Americans • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 10, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.