This bell first rang in the Congregational Church which was built on this site in 1871. A new church building was constructed here in 1900, and it included a tower for the bell. The Congregational Church federated with the Presbyterian Church in 1919, and the combined congregations continued to meet on this corner. The Federated Church was reorganized in 1952 as the First Presbyterian Church. 1970 saw the construction of the present church building. The bell, installed in a new supporting structure, was rededicated on Easter Sunday, 1998.
Erected by First Presbyterian Church.
Location. 40° 59.507′ N, 94° 44.28′ W. Marker is in Corning, Iowa, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Grove Avenue and 10th Street, on the left when traveling north on Grove Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 907 Grove Avenue, Corning IA 50841, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Adams County Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Adams County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mt. Etna United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Corning Fire Bell
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church, Corning, Iowa, on Facebook. (Submitted on August 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.