Blackville in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Barnwell County Courthouse
The county courthouse was on this site from 1871 to 1874. In 1869 Republican state senator Charles P. Leslie, a native of New York, sponsored an act to move the county seat from Barnwell to Blackville. Court was first held in a church until a two-story brick courthouse was built at a cost of $8000. After the county seat returned to Barnwell the courthouse housed Blackville Academy, later a public school.
Erected 2001 by The Barnwell County Council. (Marker Number 6-12.)
Location. 33° 21.406′ N, 81° 16.242′ W. Marker is in Blackville, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is on Solomon Blatt Avenue (State Highway 3), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19420 Solomon Blatt Avenue, Blackville SC 29817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blackville (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blackville : Town Of The Phoenix / Battle of Blackville, 1865 (about 600 feet away); Solomon Blatt, Sr. (about 700 feet away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Healing Springs Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.4 miles away); a different marker also named Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.5 miles away); Solomon Blatt Highway (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hilda (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blackville.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,160 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on July 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.