Beaufort in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Beaufort College, a college preparatory academy founded in 1795, occupied this Greek Revival building from 1852 to 1861. The school opened in 1084 at Bay and Church Sts. but closed in 1817 after a yellow fever epidemic, reopening in 1820 at Newcastle and Craven Sts. This building designed by John Gibbs Barnwell II featured two classrooms, two offices, and a library modeled after the one at S.C. College, now the South Caronliniana Library at the University of S.C.
Beaufort College closed its doors in 1861 when Beaufort was occupied by Federal troops. For the rest of the Civil War it was a school for former slaves and part of a hospital complex serving both freedmen and Federal soldiers. It also served as headquarters for the Freedmen's Bureau here during Reconstruction, then became a public elementary school in 1909. In 1959 the University of S.C. acquired this building for its new Beaufort campus.
Erected 2001 by Beaufort Historical Society and the Beaufort College Board of Trustees. (Marker Number 7-26.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Beaufort County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 32° 26.198′ N, 80° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beaufort SC 29902, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First African Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Baptist Church of Beaufort (approx. ¼ mile away); Dr. Henry Woodward, Surgeon 1646-1686 (approx. ¼ mile away); Beaufort Arsenal (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert Smalls (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tabernacle Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Beaufort Female Benevolent Society (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaufort.
More about this marker. Now part of the University of South Caolina Beaufort campus.
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,125 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.