Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Weeks’ Grove

Circa 1902

 
 
Weeks Grove Marker image. Click for full size.
April 1, 2010
1. Weeks Grove Marker
Inscription. This building stands in what was known as "Weeks Grove" of Live Oak trees which extended from Bayou Teche southward for several blocks and which for years formed the eastern boundary of the town. About the turn of the century the "Weeks Grove" served as a park for New Iberians who gathered there in the evenings to visit and attend band concerts. This building, a one story dwelling was built by Dr. W.J. Emmer in 1902. In 1906 it served for a time as the office of the short-lived Central Railroad of Louisiana. Thereafter, it was used as a residence. In 1914, Mayor Alphie Fontelieu bought the place and added the upper story. The structure remained a residence until 1959.

Donated in loving memory of their parents by the family of
Donald and Marie L. Delcambre
Iberia Cultural Resources Association 2008


French:
La Chênaie Weeks
circa 1902

Ce bâtiment situé sur un emplacement jadis connu sous le nom de “Weeks Grove”, s’étendait au sud jusqu’au Bayou Teche et à l’est jusqu’aux anciens confins de la ville. Au début du siècle cette chènaie servit de parc aux citadins qui venaient s’y promener et y écouter des concerts. A l’origine, cette maison construite par le Docteur W. J. Emmer n’avait qu’un rez-de-chausseé. En 1906 elle servit brièvement de bureau pour le
Weeks Grove Marker image. Click for full size.
April 1, 2010
2. Weeks Grove Marker
“Central Railroad Co. Of Louisiana”. En 1914, M. Alphe Fontelieu, maire de la ville acheta l’immeuble pour l'habiter et y ajouta un étage. Ce n’est qu’en 1959 que le bâtiment actuel cessa d'être une demeure privée.

Spanish:
La Arboleda de los Weeks
circa 1902
Este edificio se encuentra en lo que se conocía como “La Arboleda de los Weeks”. El robledo se extendía desde el Bayou Teche hacia el sur, por varias calles, y servía como parque público, donde los habitantes del pueblo se reunían por las tardes a conversar y a escuchare conciertos musicales. Este edificio, de un piso, fue construido como residencia particular por el Dr. W. J. Emmer en 1902, y en 1906 sirvió por un tiempo breve como oficina del "Ferrocarril Central de Luisiana”. De allí en adelante se utilizó como residencia. En 1914 el alcalde Alphe Fontelieu compró la residencia y le añadió un segundo piso. La estructura se mantuvo como residencia privada hasta el año 1959.
 
Erected 2008 by Iberia Cultural Resources Association.
 
Location. 30° 0.229′ N, 91° 48.952′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 182) and Route 14, on the left when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Mounted on the Shadows-On-The-Teche visitors center building. Marker is in this post office area: New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shadows-On-The Teche (within shouting distance of this marker); The United States Post Office - Circa 1903 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Murray Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bazus Building (about 500 feet away); Segura - Labourgeois Building (about 600 feet away); The Davis Building (about 600 feet away); The Dreyfus Building (about 700 feet away); Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
 
More about this marker. One of twenty-one trilingual historical markers (Spanish, French and English) located throughout New Iberia.
 
Categories. Horticulture & Forestry
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2015. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement