Boiling Springs in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church
This church was organized by Rev. James H. Thornwell on authority from Charleston Presbytery; F.J. and W.A. Hay were its first elders. By 1846 Rev. Samuel H. Hay preached on alternate Sundays here and at a new church in Barnwell; this congregation soon merged with the new one as Barnwell Presbyterian Church.
In 1896 Rev. F.L. Leeper and Dr. W.S.Hay, appointed by the Presbytery, reorganized Boiling Springs as a seperate congregation with O.B. Hay and J.M. Gantt as elders and J.C. Fowke as deacon. The present sanctuary was built in 1897 by Hay Gnatt and other members; the Sunday School building was built in 1955.
Erected 1998 by Barnwell Co. Museum & Historical Board. (Marker Number 6-9.)
Location. 33° 8.099′ N, 81° 25.762′ W. Marker is in Boiling Springs, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is on Boiling Springs Rd (State Highway S-6-39) one mile west of State Highway 3, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barnwell SC 29812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boiling Springs Academy (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tarlton Brown (1757 - 1845) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Winton County Court House Site (approx. 3 miles away); Lower Three Runs Baptist Church (approx. 4.5 miles away); Morris Ford Earthworks (approx. 6.8 miles away); Town of Ellenton (approx. 7.3 miles away); Ellenton Agricultural Club (approx. 7.4 miles away); Speedwell Methodist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boiling Springs.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,121 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.