Central Gardens Historic District
By 1900, Memphis's growth had pushed the city limits east of the district's 511 acres, originally settled in 1830 by Solomon Rozelle. With its convenient access to downtown via the new trolley lines, Central Gardens underwent intensive development to fill the demand for suburban housing away from the congestion of the business district. Many of the city's most prominent citizens were early Central Gardens residents, including Walter Chandler, Edward Hull "Boss" Crump, C. P. J. Mooney, and Abe Plough.
Developed from the 1900s to the 1930s as about forty different subdivisions, the district was named Central Gardens in 1967. The district's eclectic architecture is unified by the consistency of massing, scale, cornice height, and setback: the result is an early twentieth century neighborhood with the distinctive quality of ordered diversity. The wide range of architectural styles reflects the varied tastes of the original owners, while the creative interpretation of these styles was accomplished by a number of talented Memphis architects, including Max H. Furbinger; Walk Jones, Sr.; George Mahan, Jr.; J. Frazer Smith; and Neander M. Woods, Jr.
Location. 35° 7.909′ N, 90° 0.317′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grace-St. Luke's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hutchison School (approx. half a mile away); Bettis Family Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); First Congregational Church (was approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing. ); Site of the former Union Avenue United Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Kuni Wada Bakery Remembrance (approx. 0.9 miles away); Annesdale Park Subdivision (approx. 0.9 miles away); Griffin House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Categories. • Landmarks • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 39 times this year. Last updated on August 18, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.