Key West in Monroe County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The History of the Southernmost Point
In 1773 George Gauld, a British surveyor & cartographer, placed the Southermost Point at 24°29'N latitude and 82°35'W longitude. At the time Cayo Hueso, now called Key West, was part of the Spanish Empire. John Simonton purchased the island December 21, 1821 for $2,000. The following March, U.S.N. Lt. M.C. Perry declared American possession of the island "as part of the territory ceded by Spain."
Location. 24° 32.794′ N, 81° 47.851′ W. Marker is in Key West, Florida, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of South Street and Whitehead Street, on the left when traveling south on South Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Key West FL 33040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Southernmost Point (here, next to this marker); Eduardo H. Gato House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eduardo Gato Cigar Factory (approx. 0.3 miles away); E.H. Gato Cigar Factory (approx. 0.3 miles away); Porter's Anti-Pirate Fleet (approx. 0.4 miles away); War of 1898 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Convent Of Mary Immaculate (approx. 0.4 miles away); Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Key West.
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 19, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 19, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.