“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Francisville in West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)

Rosedown Plantation

Rosedown Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
July 8, 2005
1. Rosedown Plantation Marker
Inscription. Spanish Land Grant made in 1789 to John Mills, American Revolutionary soldier. (Founder of Bayou Sara in 1790, Mills was also a leader in the West Florida Rebellion, 1810.) In 1835 Daniel Turnbull built the present home at Rosedown.

Lower plaque:
Dedicated April 1963 by the Baton Rouge Chapter National Society D.A.R.
Erected 1965 by Louisiana Tourist Development Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 30° 47.452′ N, 91° 22.344′ W. Marker is in St. Francisville, Louisiana, in West Feliciana Parish. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 10 and Rosedown Plantation Road, on the left when traveling east on State Highway 10. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12501 LA-10, Saint Francisville LA 70775, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lt. Commander John E. Hart (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Myrtles (approx. 1.2 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bayou Sara (approx. 1.5 miles away); West Feliciana Railroad
Rosedown Plantation image. Click for full size.
July 8, 2005
2. Rosedown Plantation
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Audubon Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); Afton Villa (approx. 3.7 miles away); John Archer LeJeune (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Francisville.
Also see . . .  Rosedown Plantation State Historic Site. Louisiana Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism (Submitted on July 19, 2015.) 
Categories. Antebellum South, US
Rosedown Plantation image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, circa 1969
3. Rosedown Plantation
This is Rosedown Plantation about 1969, shortly after the completion of a comprehensive restoration. It was then privately owned by the Underwood family but open to the public.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2015. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 81 times this year. Last updated on August 20, 2015. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2015.   3. submitted on September 9, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement