Woodley Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Million Dollar Bridge
At the time it was built, the Connecticut Avenue bridge, nicknamed “Million Dollar Bridge” due to its then-extraordinary cost, was the largest to be constructed of pre-cast concrete. Even its feline guardian sculptures were made of concrete. Originally sculpted by Roland Hinton Perry, the lions have been restored twice, once in 1964 by sculptor Renato Lucchetti, and again in 2000 by Reinaldo Lopez. The bridge is also known for its lamp posts, each topped with an eagle alighting, by sculptor Ernest C. Bairstow.
The bridge was renamed the William Howard Taft Bridge in 1930, to honor the former president (1909-1913) and chief justice of the Supreme Court (1921-1930), who lived in neighboring Kalorama.
The Woodley Park call boxes were developed by the Woodley Park Community Association as part of Art on Call, a
Location. 38° 55.518′ N, 77° 3.085′ W. Marker is in Woodley Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Woodley Road and Woodley Place, on the right when traveling east on Woodley Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2520 Woodley Road, Washington DC 20008, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walsh Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harry Wardman (approx. ¼ mile away); Woodley Road Neighbors (approx. ¼ mile away); The ›Duke‹ Ellington Memorial Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Archaeology in Adams Morgan (approx. ¼ mile away); Soldiers and Sailors Buried at Mt. Pleasant Plains Cemetery, 1870-1890 (approx. ¼ mile away); A Long and Winding Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Easter Monday (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodley Park.
Also see . . . Historic American Buildings Survey Record for the Connecticut Bridge (Submitted on August 21, 2015.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 21, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 11. submitted on August 21, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.