Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Foggy Bottom in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Union Engine House

 
 
Union Engine House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 26, 2015
1. Union Engine House Marker
Inscription. This was the site of the Union Engine House, which served as the headquarters of The Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia from July 7, 1911 until July 4, 1956. The building was later dismantled to make room for the International Monetary Fund Building.

This marker was placed by The Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia.
 
Erected 1997 by The Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia.
 
Location. 38° 53.966′ N, 77° 2.597′ W. Marker is in Foggy Bottom, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 19th Street, NW and H Street, NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 789 19th St., NW, Washington DC 20431, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edward R. Murrow (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); "The Seven Buildings" (about 500 feet away); The United Church/Die Vereinigte Kirche (about 600 feet away); "The Bachelor" (about 600 feet away); George Washington (about 700 feet away); George Gamow
Union Engine House Marker - Marker Detail image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 26, 2015
2. Union Engine House Marker - Marker Detail
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Edward Teller (approx. 0.2 miles away); Announcement of the Atomic Age (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Foggy Bottom.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located on the inside face of a low retaining wall, and is more easily seen from H St.
 
Also see . . .
1. DCFD History. ....In 1836 (dates unknown) the Union and Perseverance Fire Companies were organized. The Union was located at 19th & H Streets N.W. until 1862 when they moved to 21st Street & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. The Perseverance was located at 8th & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.... (Submitted on August 22, 2015.) 

2. More About the AOI. The AOI presents their history, "...In 1909, the District Commissioners, in recognition of the association's support for the city, passed a resolution allowing AOI to create a permanent meeting place in the old Union Engine Company building at 19th and H streets, N.W. There AOI shared the building with the Veteran Volunteer Fireman's Association, which had been granted use of the building in 1891 and had established a museum of fire fighting equipment and memorabilia.
Union Engine House Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 26, 2015
3. Union Engine House Marker - Wide View
AOI met for the first time at the Union Engine Company on July 11, 1911 and continued to meet there until 1956, when the building was demolished for the construction of the International Monetary Fund headquarters....
(Submitted on August 22, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public Work
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement