Cody in Park County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Trail to Old Cody City
Founded by Buﬀalo Bill Cody in 1895
Here on the prairie there are still visible remnants of several old wagon trails dating back to Cody City in the late 1800ís. The first buildings of Cody City were constructed on the nearby plain to the west, although the town was supposed to be built on both sides of the river. The original town plat map shows that the streets were to be named after Civil War generals. One of the visible trails just north of here is Lee Street, named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
The settlement had a general store operated by H. P. Arnold, a livery barn and two saloons that were usually open. There were several residential cabins built in the vicinity, as well as a number of horse corrals and wagon sheds scattered on the sagebrush prairie.
Location. 44° 30.899′ N, 109° 6.31′ W. Marker is in Cody, Wyoming, in Park County. Marker can be reached from W Yellowstone Avenue (U.S. 20), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located along the Colterís Hell Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Cody WY 82414, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Belle Drewry (a few steps from this marker); W.A. Gallagher and Blind Bill (within shouting distance of this marker); Sampson E. Stilwell Phillip H. Vetter (within shouting distance of this marker); Jim White (within shouting distance of this marker); John Jeremiah "Liver Eating" Johnston (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee Street – Cody City (within shouting distance of this marker); Stone Circles (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cody.
More about this marker. A photograph of the “H.P. Arnold Store at Cody City ca. 1895” appears at the bottom left of the marker. The right side of the marker features pictures of the “Red Lodge-Meeteetse Stage”, Artifacts and a metal point found at this site, and the original town plat map of Cody City. The map has a caption of “Cody City was platted in October of 1895 by Charles Hayden and E. van Dreveldt.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. See all the markers along the Colterís Hell Trail.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 23, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.