Milton's Early Park and Recreation Programs
In the first year of operation, YMCA director Harold Morgan managed the parks with P. Richard Fisher as his assistant. There were 953 local youths registered in the eight-week program, which included arts and crafts, baseball, softball, quoits, horseshoes, badminton and table tennis. Along with the daily outdoor schedule, each park group used the YMCA indoor pool one day per week.
At the close of the 1948 season, a gigantic pet parade was held, and there was a police-sponsored talent show at the Capitol Theater with more than 500 youths attending.
The Recreation Commission opened the ice skating rink under the leadership of Homer Fork at Brown Avenue Park in 1949. The Milton Lions Club was also instrumental in the overall development of Brown Avenue Park.
The Midget Baseball League, which started in 1947, was the earliest official baseball-for-youth program in the area. An almost immediate dynasty started as the West Milton-New Columbia team copped the title in 1948 and proceeded to take the next four titles. Their coaches, Earl Koch and Loren Ranck, are credited for founding
The league was comprised of the West Milton-New Columbia team and five Milton teams, one representing each of the five Wards. While most of the early games were held at the West Milton Park, the league acquired a new home at Brown Avenue Park, which was opened on August 20, 1950 following a parade through town led by the Keystoners. The regulation-size filed featured dugouts and an outfield fence.
In 1956, the Milton Little League was founded. The first offieres were Rev. Philip Jones, president; William Koch, vice-president; Jane Ranck, secretary; and Martha Boudman, treasurer. Milton Parks and Recreation Director, Doug Niemond, was credited for organizing the league. In its first year, four major league teams were formed: the Red Sox coatche by Joe Runyan; Paul Switzer coached the Yankees; Paul Boiardi coached the Indians, and Richard Ranck coached the Dodgers.
Ice skating at Brown Avenue Park, above, and sledding down Brown Avenue hill, below, were favorite pastimes for the youths of the community during winter months.
The photo above shows the 1956 Yankees, Milton Little Leagues's first Championship team. The team included, bottom row left to right, coach Paul Switzer, Larry Chappel, Paul Shellenberger, Gene McBride, John Floydd, Roy Schrawder, Jeff Hassenplug, Gregg Prosseda, and Wilbur McBride, assistant coach. Back row, Jerry Vignola, Ken Zimmerman, Jan Prosseda, Tom Switzer, Bill Thompson, Henry Longenberger, Tim Schrawder, and Charles Eason. Jack Steinbach was absent from the photo.
Above - a refreshing shower at Marsh Park d;uring the Recreation Commission's community parks summer program.
Below - The Milton Community Pool opened in 1967 at Brown Avenue Park under the leadership and management of the YMCA.
Erected by Parks and Recreation.
Location. 41° 1.225′ N, 76° 51.328′ W. Marker is in Milton, Pennsylvania, in Northumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Front Street and Broadway Street on N. Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milton PA 17847, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Lincoln Park (a few steps from this marker); The Turbot Hills Golf Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Adult Baseball, Softball, and Basketball Programs (within shouting distance of this marker); "Remembrance of Things Past" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Milton Fair (within shouting distance of this marker); Riverside Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Rotary Centennial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Rotary Centennial Park (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.