Wheelock in Caledonia County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
The Dartmouth College Land Grant
When Eleazer Wheelock founded Dartmouth in 1769, he sought land grants to support the new college. In 1785 the Vermont legislature chartered and named a town of 23,000 acres for Wheelock. In the early 1800's substantial support for financially impoverished Dartmouth came from this one grant, a gift of Vermont.
Erected 1957 by Vermont Historic Sites Commission.
Location. 44° 35.259′ N, 72° 4.979′ W. Marker is in Wheelock, Vermont, in Caledonia County. Marker is at the intersection of Vermont Route 122 and Sutton Road, on the right when traveling north on State Route 122. Touch for map. Marker is located on the village green in front of Wheelock Town Hall and across the road from Wheelock cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1192 VT Route 122, Lyndonville VT 05851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Theodore N. Vail (approx. 4.6 miles away); Vail Campus (approx. 4.9 miles away); Mountain View Farm (approx. 6 miles away); Runaway Pond (approx. 7 miles away); First American Platform Scale St. Johnsbury Trade School (approx. 12.2 miles away); Henry M. Leland (approx. 12.2 miles away); Thaddeus Stevens (approx. 12½ miles away).
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.