Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Vernon in Rockcastle County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Cox Building History

 
 
Cox Building History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 13, 2015
1. Cox Building History Marker
close up, showing text
Inscription. The Joplin Hotel, constructed on this site before 1862, was the second brick building in Rockcastle County, the first to have a tin roof, and the home of the county’s first telegraph office at the beginning of the Civil War. By 1908, the former Joplin Brick Hotel had become a business house owned by the Cox family. The basement was shared by two businesses- Hysinger & Livesay (a restaurant and grocer) and S.B.Ramsey’s Butcher Shop. The first floor was shared by Robert Cox (general merchandise), Claude Cox (furniture), and W. A. Cox (undertaker). The second floor was used by Dr. D.B. Southard. Approximately 5:00 o’clock a.m. on Saturday, November 21, 1908 a fire broke out in the basement. The fire completely destroyed the old hotel building. The Cox family began construction of the present building almost immediately following the fire. The contractor of the new building was R.H.Casey and the cast iron façade was manufactured by G.L.Meeker & Co. of Evansville, Indiana. The current building opened for business during the summer of 1909. Claude Cox would eventually buy out his brothers and operate the Business as C.C. Cox Hardware. His son, John, would join him in the business following World War II. Cox Hardware would eventually pass on to Claude’s grandson, Jim Cox and his wife Martha. The business was a landmark in Mount
Cox Building History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, /13/2015
2. Cox Building History Marker
back side of marker
Vernon until it’s closing in February of 2013.
 
Location. 37° 21.184′ N, 84° 20.312′ W. Marker is in Mount Vernon, Kentucky, in Rockcastle County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Church Street when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is across the street from the Rockcastle Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 190 E Main St, Mount Vernon KY 40456, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Col. James Maret (1855- 1936) (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockcastle County, 1810 (within shouting distance of this marker); Boone Way (within shouting distance of this marker); Fish – Hiatt Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockcastle Co. War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) (within shouting distance of this marker); PFC David M. Smith / Medal of Honor Winner (approx. 7.3 miles away); Sambrook Hotel (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Vernon.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Cox Building History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 13, 2015
3. Cox Building History Marker
full view of marker
Cox Building History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 13, 2015
4. Cox Building History Marker
full view of back side
Cox Building History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 13, 2015
5. Cox Building History Marker
the Cox Building
Cox Building History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 13, 2015
6. Cox Building History Marker
Close up, showing the Cox Building as new in 1909
Cox Building History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, June 13, 2015
7. Cox Building History Marker
Close up, showing the old Joplin Hotel and the Cox Family
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 30, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement