Near Stark in Coos County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
German Prisoner of War Camp
In the spring of 1944 a high fence and four guard towers transformed a former Civilian Conservation Corps camp on this site into New Hampshire's sole World War II prisoner of war camp. Approximately 250 German and Austrian soldiers, most captured in North Africa and Normandy, lived in Camp Stark while working in the forest cutting pulpwood vital to wartime industry. The camp closed in the spring of 1946 when the prisoners of war were returned to their homeland. Several maintained the new friendships they had formed with local residents. Germans and Americans attended a reunion here in 1986.
Erected 1985 by New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. (Marker Number 150.)
Location. 44° 37.113′ N, 71° 23.256′ W. Marker is near Stark, New Hampshire, in Coos County. Marker is on Stark Highway (New Hampshire Route 110) 8½ miles east of U.S. 3, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Groveton NH 03582, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wilder-Holton House (approx. 12.6 miles away); Lake Coos and the Presidential Range (approx. 12.9 Thaddeus S. C. Lowe (approx. 13.8 miles away); The Weeks Act (approx. 14.8 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.