Ehrhardt in Bamberg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mt. Pleasant Church
Erected 1988 by the Congregation. (Marker Number 5-2.)
Location. 33° 5.524′ N, 81° 2.388′ W. Marker is in Ehrhardt, South Carolina, in Bamberg County. Marker is on Mt Pleasant Road (State Highway S-5-25) near Jager Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1137 Mt Pleasant Rd, Ehrhardt SC 29081, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ehrhardt Hall (approx. 1˝ miles away); Conrad Ehrhardt Railroad Park (approx. 1˝ miles away); St. Johns Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Colleton County Confederate Soldiers (approx. 3˝ miles away); Our Confederate Dead (approx. 3˝ miles away); Rivers Bridge Confederate Dead A Tradition of Remembering, A Legacy of Preservation (approx. 3˝ miles away); Four County WW II Memorial (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ehrhardt.
More about this marker. This marker is located in Bamberg County, which was named for Major William Seaborn Bamberg who joined the community in the 1840’s. This marker identifies his grandfather, John George Bamberg, who was a native of Germany and settled near River’s Bridge following the Revolutionary war.
1. John George Bamberg (died 1800)
In the Mt. Pleasant Church cemetery is the grave marker for John George Bamberg and his wife. Its inscription reads: “Sacred to the memory of John George Bamberg. A former officer of Frederick the Great of Prussia. Born in Bamberg, Baveria. Served as special inspector in America of German Troops and colonists during the American Revolution. Emigrated to SC about 1786. Ordained a Lutheran minister in 1788. Organized Mount Pleasant Church, and his wife born Allen”
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,496 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 31, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on February 13, 2010, by George G. Hughes of Comstock Park, Michigan. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.