Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Little Missouri: The Town
The town of Little Missouri was founded in 1880 at the site of the Northern Pacific Railroad section house and depot, on the west bank of the river. In late 1880, Frank Moore, the Post Trader of the nearby military cantonment, opened the Pyramid Park Hotel.
The badlands were becoming a destination for hunters, scientists and tourists. The Little Missouri business community soon grew to include Big-Mouthed Bob’s Bug Juice Dispensary, a general store, and a boarding house.
In 1883 two distinguished visitors stepped off the train at Little Missouri. President Chester A. Arthur was returning from Yellowstone National Park on September 2. The future president Theodore Roosevelt had come west to hunt on September 8.
The Marquis de Mores, arriving in April 1883, established a new town on the east side of the river, naming it Medora. As Medora grew, Little Missouri faded.
Plans to move the Little Missouri depot to another station failed because the structure was too wide to fit through the railroad bridges. As a result, the depot was sold locally and taken to the HT Ranch, about 40 miles south of Medora.
(Marker Number 12.)
Location. 46° 55.056′ N, 103° 31.998′ W. Marker is in Medora, North Dakota, in Billings County Touch for map. The marker is located just west of the Little Missouri River. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bad Lands Cantonment (here, next to this marker); Frontier Military (here, next to this marker); Medora Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Little Missouri Bridge (here, next to this marker); Chateau de Mores (within shouting distance of this marker); De Mores Packing Plant (approx. ¼ mile away); Dreams of a Cattle Empire (approx. ¼ mile away); Loading Dock (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. The left side of the marker contains an aerial photograph of the Little Missouri town site. It has a caption of “A formal town site was never platted at Little Missouri, which some locals called ‘Little Misery’.” A double photograph of the town by Northern Pacific Views, includes a caption of “The town of Little Missouri was on the west bank of the Little Missouri River.”
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.