Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Stockmens State Bank
In late 1908, Christ Pederson of Dickinson purchased the General Store from Joe Ferris and moved to Medora.
On August 6, 1909, Pederson, Harve Robinson, and George Burgess filed a Certificate of Organization. The Stockmens State Bank was capitalized at $15,000 and the ownership was equally divided among the three partners.
Construction of a new building began at the corner of what today is Pacific Avenue and Main Street. By October 22, 1909, the building was awaiting fixtures and the vault door. The Billings County Herald reported the abstract office of Burgess & Keohane would be moving from the Billings County Courthouse to the bank.
In the fall of 1938, the Stockmens State Bank entered bankruptcy, a result of the Great Depression. By November 1938, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation established a claim center in the bank building. Patrons were encouraged to submit their claims as expeditiously as possible.
In years following, the building was used as a government office and then converted to a restaurant.
(Marker Number 27.)
Location. 46° 54.834′ N, 103° 31.554′ W. Marker is in Medora, North Dakota, in Billings County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Pacific Avenue, on the right Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hotel de Mores (here, next to this marker); Medora Stage and Forwarding Company (here, next to this marker); Tribute to the Civilian Conservation Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); De Mores (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bad Lands Cow Boy (within shouting distance of this marker); Medora Town Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roberts Hall (about 300 feet away); The President Returns (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. The upper left side of the marker contains a picture of a man and woman in front of the bank with a caption of “Stockmens State Bank served residents of Medora from 1909 until 1938, when it fell victim of the Great Depression.” The right of the marker features “The original organizational certificate; owners capitalized the bank with $15,000.”
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.