Gilbert in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The building has been used for many purposes from 1930 to the present. The Gilbert Valley Theater opened in 1936 and showed double features with world newsreels and cartoons for only 14 cents. Other businesses here have also included a dinner theater, a game center, an archery range, a deli and a church. In the late 50's Albert Serrano Jr. operated a shirt and baby shoe factory in the building. The Johnston family purchased the building in 1996. In January 1998 Joe Johnson, Tad Peelen and Tim Peelen opened Joe's Real BBQ, a Gilbert restaurant landmark and one of the most popular in the valley.
Erected 2012 by Gilbert Leadership Class XX 2012. A program of the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 North Gilbert Road, Gilbert AZ 85234, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bank of Gilbert (a few steps from this marker); Liberty Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Dance Pavilion (within shouting distance of this marker); Creed Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Pump House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clement's Garage (about 600 feet away); Gilbert Town Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gilbert Elementary School (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilbert.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.