135 First Street
Historic Building 1884
Constructed for $11,000 by John C. Knorpp, the second floor became the Knorpp Opera House, featuring vaudeville, drama and community functions. The ground floor became a grocery. In 1893 the opera hall was leased to the Masonic Lodge then, in 1904 to the IOOF Lodge. In 1909 the building sold to the IOOF which used the upper floor for many years. After 1921 the ground floor housed variety stores. In 1929, natural gas was piped from Lone Jack. The gas company occupied these premises for nine years. In 1940 Johnny Johnson opened a dance hall on the ground floor. It is currently owned by a church.
Erected 1992 by Pleasant Hill Downtown Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, Pleasant Hill Downtown Association marker series.
Location. 38° 47.076′ N, 94° 16.435′ W. Marker is in Pleasant Hill, Missouri, in Cass County. Marker is at the intersection of Commercial Street and 1st Street, on the left when traveling east on Commercial Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 135 1st Street, Pleasant Hill MO 64080, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . .
1. Pleasant Hill Downtown Historic District, NRHP. (Submitted on September 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historic Pleasant Hill MO. (Submitted on September 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.