Crawford in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Development increased following the Civil War, and the post office opened in 1871. By the latter part of that decade, the town included several stores, a tavern, a blacksmith shop and a school with an enrollment of about 100.
In 1881, the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad, building north from Temple to Fort Worth, bypassed the original townsite, and residents began moving here along the new line. Crawford experienced economic growth as a result, and there were soon four churches, a cotton gin and a grain mill. Incorporated in 1897, the town remained an important agricultural center throughout the twentieth century, at times boasting more than 700 residents, two banks and dozens of local businesses.
In July 1999, Texas Governor
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13191.)
Location. 31° 32.066′ N, 97° 26.591′ W. Marker is in Crawford, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is at the intersection of North Lone Star Parkway (State Highway 317) and 5th Street (County Route 185), on the right when traveling north on North Lone Star Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6688 N Lone Star Pkwy, Crawford TX 76638, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lanes Chapel and Cemetery (approx. 12.7 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 10, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.