County - City Building
Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska
Lincoln's city government occupied various locations until 1886, when a municipal headquarters building was erected at 10th and Q Streets. The old U.S. Post Office building, constructed in 1874-1879 at 10th and O Streets, served as City Hall from 1907-1969. In 1888, the County Commissioners accepted a bid of $164,976 for the construction of Lancaster County's first courthouse. Completed in 1890 on a site directly north of this building, the courthouse was razed in 1969.
Through the combined efforts of the City Council and County Commissioners, voter approval was received in 1965 for the construction of a building to house both governments. Designed by two local architectural firms, the County-City Building was completed in 1969 at a cost of five million dollars.
Erected 1970 by Lincoln Bar Association Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 105.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 48.491′ N, 96° 42.436′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, Nebraska, in Lancaster County. Marker is on S. 10th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln NE 68508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Nebraska Governor's Residence (approx. 0.4 miles away); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (Old City Hall) (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Ferguson House (approx. half a mile away); Original Site of St. Paul Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln's Founding Block (approx. half a mile away); Nebraska Statehood Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Humane Society Fountain (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Nebraska State Historical Society (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2015, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 12, 2015, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. 4. submitted on September 14, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.