Port Republic in Rockingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Port Republic Foundry
A horizontal water wheel powered by a mill race was installed in 1903 to increase efficiency. The waterpower was used to drive the huge blower that supplied air to the cupola. The Foundry supplied water power to the town for electricity when the Port Republic Electric Light Company was organized 1916. The Foundry's water power was used to drive the electrical machinery until the electric company transferred
(top) Horses and wagon loaded with plow points made at the William M. Groah Foundry in the background.
(bottom) Left to Right: Bob Meyerhoffer, William Groah, Harvey Scott, Luther Sipe
This plaque erected by: The descendants of William & Lucy Viola Connell Groah
Erected by The Society of Port Republic Preservationists, Inc.
Location. 38° 17.552′ N, 78° 49.106′ W. Marker is in Port Republic, Virginia, in Rockingham County. Marker is on Water Street south of Main Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Republic VA 24471, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Madison Hall (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Palmer Lot at Middle Ford (approx. ¼ mile away); The Frank Kemper House (was approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing. ); The Point (approx. half a mile away); North River Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Port Republic Battlefield (was approx. 1.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); George Caleb Bingham (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Port Republic Battlefield (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Republic.
Also see . . . Port Republic Museum. The Society of Port Republic Preservationists, Inc. (Submitted on September 13, 2015.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.