Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Mingus in Erath County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Thurber

 
 
Thurber Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, August 22, 2015
1. Thurber Marker
Inscription. Most important mine site in Texas for 30 years. Coal here, probably known to Indians, was “discovered” in 1886 by W.W. Johnson, who with his brother Harvey sold out to Texas & Pacific Coal Company in 1888. (T.&P. Coal Company provided fuel for the Texas & Pacific Railroad, but was independently owned.)
†††††Town was named for H.K. Thurber, friend of T.&P. Coal Company founders. Most dynamic firm member was Robert D. Hunter (1833-1902), developer of 7 of 15 mines. Next president was E.L. Marston, Hunterís son-in-law, who left mining largely to William K. Gordon (1862-1949), an engineer who brought daily production to 3,000 tons.
†††††Then in 1917, Gordon (backed by management of coal company) was primarily responsible for discovery of Ranger oil field, 20 miles west. Adoption of oil-burning railway locomotives cut demand for coal. Last mine here closed in 1921, and the 10,000 or more inhabitants of Thurber began to move away.
†††††The coal firm changed its name to Texas Pacific Coal and Oil Company and was sold in 1963 to Joseph E. Seagram & Sons, Inc., for $277,000,000.00. Renamed Texas Pacific Oil Company, it is now one of the largest domestic energy suppliers. Much coal (by estimate 127,000,000 tons) remains underground.
 
Erected 1969 by Texas State Historical Survey
Thurber and Evolution of an Oil Company Markers image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, August 22, 2015
2. Thurber and Evolution of an Oil Company Markers
Committee. (Marker Number 5486.)
 
Location. 32° 30.465′ N, 98° 24.96′ W. Marker is near Mingus, Texas, in Erath County. Marker can be reached from Private Road 741 0.1 miles north of Texas Highway 108, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mingus TX 76463, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Evolution of an Oil Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Hotel Knox and Thurber Mining Office (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thurber Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Snake Saloon (approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing); Site of Thurber Big Lake and Dairy (approx. 1.1 miles away); Thurber Junction and the T&P Railroad Presence (approx. 2.5 miles away); Mingus Baptist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Joseph Peter Davidson (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mingus.
 
Also see . . .
1. Thurber, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on September 14, 2015.) 

2. Thurber: Thriving ... Then Gone. From the Texas Co-op Power online community. (Submitted on September 14, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Texas & Pacific Coal Company Smokestack image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, August 22, 2015
3. Texas & Pacific Coal Company Smokestack
Smokestack constructed in 1908
Texas & Pacific Coal Company Smokestack image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, August 22, 2015
4. Texas & Pacific Coal Company Smokestack
View to north from I-20 Frontage Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 14, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement