Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Washington in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Port Washington State Bank Centennial Pavilion

 
 
Port Washington State Bank Centennial Pavilion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 15, 2014
1. Port Washington State Bank Centennial Pavilion Marker
Inscription. The dream of Clarence Hill and George Henry was realized when on Sept. 11, 1899, they opened the doors of their new bank at 206 N. Franklin St. Hill came to the city from Manitowoc, where he helped organize the First National Bank in 1894, and where he met George Henry, a local dentist and investor. Port Washington had no local banking services as bank failures were common and the time seemed right for their new venture. Undeterred by the great Wisconsin Chair Company Factory fire which nearly leveled the business district only two days after their bank site purchase, the partners proceeded with their plans with assurances from the city and the Chair Factory that the company and downtown would be rebuilt.

Initially capitalized with $25,000, the Port Washington State Bank has grown to serve Ozaukee County through four locations. With assets of $200,000,000, it ranks in the top 20% of commercial banks as to size in Wisconsin.

PWSB as it has come to be know is still principally owned and actively managed by the third and fourth generation descendants of Clarence Hill. The bank is pleased to donate this structure to the city as a lasting tribute to its founders and as a thank you to all area residents for their support of our community bank.

Dedicated the 11th day of September, on the occasion of Port Washington
Port Washington State Bank Centennial Pavilion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 15, 2014
2. Port Washington State Bank Centennial Pavilion Marker
State Bank's 100th anniversary as "Ozaukee County's Oldest Independent Bank"

DIRECTORS
Ronald J. Schowalter Steven R. Schowalter
Mark D. Schowalter Frank M. Metz
Thomas D. Greisch

 
Erected 1999.
 
Location. 43° 23.228′ N, 87° 52.071′ W. Marker is in Port Washington, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee County. Touch for map. Located in Rotary Park. Marker is in this post office area: Port Washington WI 53074, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Art of Commercial Fishing (a few steps from this marker); They Had To Go A Fishin' (a few steps from this marker); Those That Fished (a few steps from this marker); Of Valor and Sorrow (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Those That Fished (a few steps from this marker); A Lakefront in Transition (a few steps from this marker); Lake Michigan Habitat (within shouting distance of this marker); Sidewheel Steamer Niagara (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Washington.
 
Also see . . .  Port Washington State Bank. (Submitted on August 15, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on September 20, 2015, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement