Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First State Bank Building
Erected 1907-08 on site where trail of U.S. Cavalry Gen. Ranald MacKenzie ran parallel to Deep Creek. Built for First State Bank & Trust Co., early day cattlemen and ranchers' bank; closed during 1931 Depression year.
Has since housed many firms including local newspaper (when it was "Times Building"). Now used as office building. Exterior of Ionic Greek columned structure is same as when first constructed.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1870.)
Location. 32° 43.022′ N, 100° 55.111′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is at the intersection of College Avenue (State Highway 350) and 25th Street, on the left when traveling north on College Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2509 College Avenue, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar (within shouting distance of this marker); County's First Law Men (within shouting distance of this marker); Scurry County's Canyon Reef Oil Field County Named for Texas Confederate William R. Scurry (within shouting distance of this marker); Company G (within shouting distance of this marker); The Press in Snyder (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Fe Railway in Scurry County (about 300 feet away); Scurry County (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snyder.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.