Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Roscoe, Snyder & Paciﬁc Railroad Company
Established through efforts of Gen. F. W. James, Abilene banker and developer. Winfield S. James, a son, directed construction. While the James' were founders, H.O. Wooten, originally a Vice President and for decades owner of controlling interest, is credited with making the road a success. Daily services started in 1908 from Roscoe to Snyder and to Fluvanna in 1909.
This 50-mile railroad contributed much to the economy and settling of area; later was a connecting link with the Santa Fe and Texas & Pacific Railroads. For several decades it had a flourishing passenger, mail, express and freight business. It played major role in the Scurry County oil boom of 1920's and 1940's, transporting much essential oil field equipment.
Its steam locomotives required from 10 to 12 tons of coal daily for the round trip, with water stops at Roscoe, Snyder and Fluvanna. Oil replaced coal by 1929, and all engines converted to diesel power by 1956.
Service to Fluvanna was discontinued in 1941, and passenger service to Snyder in 1953.
Today this short-line railroad (31 miles) has a remarkable growth story as a connection and gateway for transcontinental traffic. It moves more than 20,000 cars yearly.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number
Location. 32° 43.02′ N, 100° 54.891′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is on 25th Street (U.S. 180) 0.1 miles east of Avenue Q, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 25th Street, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Snyder National Bank (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Snyder (about 800 feet away); Scurry County Courthouse Site and Building (about 800 feet away); Scurry County (about 800 feet away); Site of O.K. Wagon Yard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Sanitarium of Alonzo Orrin Scarborough (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Store of William Henry "Pete" Snyder (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of The MacKenzie Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); R. L. McMullan Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); County Named for Texas Confederate William R. Scurry (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snyder.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the railroad. (Submitted on September 22, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.