Hopkinsville in Christian County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Grace Episcopal Church
Organized in 1831 by local laymen with aid of George P. Giddinge, Md. missionary, who became first rector, and Benjamin B. Smith, later first Bishop of Ky. and Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church. First church was built ca. 1850 on Virginia St. On Oct. l0, 1875, Jefferson Davis, an Episcopalian and native of Christian Co., worshiped there.
Grace Episcopal Church - Present church built 1883-84. Liberal contributor was John C. Latham, Jr. Under rectors John W. Venable, 1883-94, and George C. Abbitt, 1902-29, church became center for social and cultural community activities. Parish house, a memorial to Emma Glass Gaither, built 1906. Tower destroyed in 1978 by tornado, restored in 1979.
Presented by Grace Episcopal Church
Erected 1981 by the Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1690.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 36° 51.983′ N, 87° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 East 6th Street, Hopkinsville KY 42240, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hotel Latham (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); County Named, 1797 (about 600 feet away); Courthouse Burned (about 600 feet away); Lewis & Clark in Kentucky (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian (about 700 feet away); Ted Poston "Dean of Black Journalists" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Peace Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer Graveyard (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hopkinsville.
Also see . . . Grace Episcopal Church history. (Submitted on September 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Disasters •
More. Search the internet for Grace Episcopal Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.