St Andrews in Fife, Scotland, United Kingdom
St. Rule's Church
St. Rule's Church was the forerunner to the great cathedral. built under Bishop Robert (1123-1159), its enormous tall tower drew pilgrims to the shrine of St. Andrew.
The Tale of St Rule
According to legend, St Rule was a monk in Patras (Greece). Warned by an angel that Emperor Constantine was planning to take St Andrew's relics to Constantinople, St Rule fled with them across the sea. Finally he was shipwrecked at Muckross near St Andrews.
The Relics of St Andrew
The relics were more probably brought here from England, by Bishop Acca. Formerly an abbot of St Andrews, he left his Hexham diocese in 732 and came back to Scotland. The relics consisted of three fingers of the right hand, the upper bone of an arm, a kneecap and a tooth.
The Measure of St Rule's
The tower has architectural similarities with Wharram-le-Street Church in North Yorkshire. It is likely that the same master mason built them, especially as Bishop Robert, who built St Rule's, had connections with Wharram from earlier in his career.
To enter the tower, please buy cathedral tickets from the visitor centre. (Turn around, go down the path and left, through the cloister).
Left: The church at Wharram-le Street in North Yorkshire.
St Rule's Church
Left: the relics of St Andrew may have originally been put in a small reliquary similar to this one for St Columba. After the completion of the cathedral they were probably given a much larger, ornate shrine.
Left: The chapter seal of St Andrew from 1160 clearly shows the tall tower of St Rule's Church.
Erected by Historic Scotland.
Location. 56° 20.381′ N, 2° 47.198′ W. Marker is in St Andrews, Scotland, in Fife. Marker can be reached from The Pends just east of North Street. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of St Andrews Cathedral. Marker is in this post office area: St Andrews, Scotland KY 16, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 14 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Religious Powerhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Many Faces of St Andrews Castle (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The "Battle" of May Island (approx. 14.3 kilometers away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 23, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.