The Mount Nebo Baptist Church
Completed in 1896, this Gothic church edifice was erected by the Grace Episcopal Church. Because the Memphis Housing Authority selected a site for public housing in proximity to Grace Episcopal Church, in November 1938, Grace Episcopal congregants unanimously voted to sell its building and adjoining property to the Mount Nebo (Negro) Baptist Church, also known as "Sack Chapel." Dating back to 1907, the congregation chose the Rev. Isaac Cotton as their first pastor. Located at several previous locations, Mount Nebo located on South Somerville,
For a short time the members met in an improvised building using old sacks for the enclosure, thus the sobriquet "Sacks Chapel." The Reverends Abraham Henderson, J.W. Shaw, Roy Love, and James H. Joyner, Jr., followed Cotton, who named the church. Members of the Mount Nebo Baptist Church took possession of the Gothic structure in 1939. Under the pastorate of the Reverend Roy Love, the congregation's membership increased from 280 to more than 1,500 members.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 156.)
Location. 35° 8.072′ N, 90° 2.603′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church / Mt. Olive CME Church (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Universal Life Insurance Building/Universal Life Insurance Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hunt-Phelan Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); George W. Lee (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Commercial Appeal / Publishing Locations (approx. 0.3 miles away); Phi Beta Sigma/Abram Langston Taylor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mary Church Terrell (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First Railroad in West Tennessee (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.