Clarksville in Montgomery County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
First launched as a weekly under the name of The Chronicle by Francis Richardson in 1808, it merged with its younger rival, The Tobacco Leaf, at an unknown later date. It is believed to be middle Tennessee's oldest newspaper.
Erected by the Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3C 18.)
Location. 36° 31.579′ N, 87° 21.485′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Tennessee, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street and South Second Street (Tennessee Route 76) on Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Commerce Street, Clarksville TN 37040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Montgomery County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Austin Peay (within shouting distance of this marker); Horace H. Lurton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Legion Street (about 700 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); John Montgomery Statue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kennedy & Glenn's Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clarence Cameron White (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksville.
Also see . . . Current newspaper - The Leaf Chronicle (Gannett) website. (Submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.