Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Fabulous Fifties
R.G. LeTourneau, an ardent lay evangelist, made a historic contribution to Longview's postwar industrialization by bringing his excavator manufacturing company and plans for creating LeTourneau Technical Institute to Longview in 1946
By decades end, the city's population had increased from 24,502 to 40,050—a 63 percent growth rate.
Erected 2000 by One Hundred Acres of Heritage, Inc.
Location. 32° 29.754′ N, 94° 44.2′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of North Green Street and Hoover Street, on the left when traveling north on North Green Street. Touch for map. Marker is at
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Longview Expands Its Influence (here, next to this marker); Completing a Century of Development (here, next to this marker); Industry Accelerates Economic Growth (here, next to this marker); World War II & Its Aftermath (a few steps from this marker); The Oil Boom Brings Renewal (a few steps from this marker); A City That Grows (a few steps from this marker); First Discovery Wells and Then the Boom! (a few steps from this marker); Transportation: Model T's, Trains & Trolleys (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.