Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Chadron in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Chadron Creek Trading Post

 
 
Chadron Creek Trading Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 5, 2015
1. Chadron Creek Trading Post Marker
Inscription. Employees of Lancaster P. Lupton built a trading post on the creek near here in 1841 to trade with the Sioux Indians. From 1842 until at least 1845 this post was managed by Louis B. Chartran, first for Sibille and Adams and later for Pratte & Cabanne. These companies were successively headquartered at Fort Platte about eighty-five miles southwest of here and competed aggressively with Pierre Chouteau Jr. & Co., which owned Fort Laramie. As a result of this competition, fur traders were very active in this region during the 1840's, bringing liquor, blankets, guns, ammunition and other trade goods to exchange for fine Indian-tanned buffalo robes.
This creek is shown on the earlier maps of the area as "Chartran's Creek" in tribute to the trader Louis Chartran. The French settlers of Missouri Pronounced it "Shattron," and from this the modern name of "Chadron" evolved. Today this creek is Chadron Creek, and from the creek the city of Chadron received its name.
 
Erected by The Museum of the Fur and Trade Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 195.)
 
Location. 42° 44.898′ N, 103° 0.384′ W. Marker is near Chadron, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker is on Gold Rush Highway (U.S. 385) near Country
Chadron Creek Trading Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 5, 2015
2. Chadron Creek Trading Post Marker
Club Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16129 Gold Rush Higway, Chadron NE 69337, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Northwestern Nebraska (approx. 4.6 miles away); Fort Robinson - Camp Sheridan - Pine Ridge Indian Agency Road (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Chadron-Chicago Cowboy Race (approx. 5.7 miles away); Bordeaux Trading Post (approx. 6.4 miles away); The Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail (approx. 6.7 miles away); Paha Sapa (approx. 6.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker is located about 4.6 miles south of Chadron.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement