Oelrichs in Fall River County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
A South Dakota Centennial Project
In 1885 the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad was completed through town. In the same year Harry Oelrichs established his headquarters east of the railroad tracks, which was formerly the Tan Ranch. He brought culture to the town, and many social activities took place. Celebrities frequently visited. Ill health forced him to return to New York in 1887. The town boasted over 2,000 people at this time. In 1887 an abattoir was built near the railroad tracks. Cattle and hogs were slaughtered daily and shipped to eastern markets. The abattoir closed in 1889. The settlers began fencing their claims, closing the open range and forcing the larger ranches out. Oelrichs became a farming and ranching community and remains that today.
In the proud and independent spirit of today's people and in the steadfast spirit of our ancestors, we dedicate this plaque for future generations.
Location. 43° 10.872′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Ash Street, Oelrichs SD 57763, United States of America.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.