Vancouver in Clark County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
The Sutler's Store
óOﬃcers Row ó
The first sutler at Vancouver Barracks was Elisha Camp, who came with the 4th Infantry in 1852. By all accounts, Camp rana profitable enterprise selling diverse items such as coffee, flour, liquor, tobacco, crockery, wool socks, and toothbrushes. However, after less than a year in Vancouver, his store mysteriously “exploded.” Camp returned to the East Coast leaving behind at least one unhappy investor: a young Brevet Captain named Ulysses S. Grant. A successor soon rebuilt the store, and the sutler tradition continued until being replaced by a post canteen, the first in the military.
Erected by Vancouver National Historic Reserve.
Location. 45° 37.563′ N, 122° 39.952′ W. Marker is in Vancouver, Washington, in Clark County. Marker is on Hathaway Road near Fort Vancouver Way, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vancouver WA 98661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Artillery Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); The Red Cross Convalescent House (within shouting distance of this marker); Clark County Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Post Hospital (about 500 feet away); The Infantry Barracks (about 500 feet away); The O. O. Howard House (about 700 feet away); The Vancouver Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vancouver.
More about this marker. The background picture on the marker is captioned, "The sutlerís store, surrounded by a stockade, appears just left of center in this 1855 sketch by Gustavus Sohon." It is provided for the marker, "Courtesy of the Library of Congress and Dr. McDermott."
In the lower right corner of the marker is a picture of items found during Fort Vancouver area archeaological digs. It includes the caption, "Unlike the British imports sold at Fort Vancouver, the sutler stocked mostly American and French goods, like these items found during archaeological excavations at the site."
Also see . . . Excavating the ca. 1850-1865 Sutlerís Store. The archaeological excavation of the Sutler's Store is discussed (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,193 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.