Evant in Coryell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Evan T. Brooks and his family arrived in the area in 1876. In 1881 Brooks platted a townsite which was filed in Hamilton County records as Brooksville. The same plat appeared in Coryell County records in 1884 as Evant, so named from a combination of Brooks’ first name and middle initial. Streets and blocks were carefully planned, including a town square.
The Cove post office was transferred to Evant and renamed in 1885. In 1878 a one-room plank schoolhouse was erected on land donated by Asa Langford in 1875. It was replaced in 1888 by a stone structure which, with additions and modifications, served Evant Independent School District until 1976.
Over the years, businesses were established and churches and community groups were organized. The citizens of Evant voted to incorporate in an election held in December 1976.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1511.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Evant TX 76525, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Evant (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Benjamin F. Gholson (approx. 0.9 miles away); Purmela Baptist Church (approx. 11.1 miles away); Adamsville (approx. 12.1 miles away); United Presbyterian Church of Adamsville (approx. 12.1 miles away); Site of the Ireland School (approx. 12.7 miles away); Entrance to Site of Townsen's Mill (approx. 13.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Evant, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on October 17, 2015.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.