Evant in Coryell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Evant
†††††In the spring of 1879 a camp meeting was held at Cottonwood Springs. New families began moving into the area, including the Murehead family from Rhode Island and the Thomas family from Wales, Great Britain. They began a Sunday school and invited area young people to join them in Methodist worship. As they grew in numbers they joined the Methodist Church.
†††††In 1884, the Baptists built the first church building in the community. The Methodists shared the structure with other denominations until 1905 when they erected their own building. It was moved across the street in 1937 due to highway development.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14520.)
Location. 31° 28.656′ N, 98° 9.128′ W. Marker is in Evant, Texas, in Coryell County. Marker is on U.S. 281 north of W. Wurts Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Evant TX 76525, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Evant (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Benjamin F. Gholson (approx. 1.1 miles away); Purmela Baptist Church (approx. 11.1 miles away); Adamsville (approx. 12.2 miles away); United Presbyterian Church of Adamsville (approx. 12.3 miles away); Site of the Ireland School (approx. 12.6 miles away); Entrance to Site of Townsen's Mill (approx. 13.2 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.