Rawlins in Carbon County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
General John A. Rawlins, a member of the party, spoke of the spring there as the most gracious and acceptable of anything he had had on the march and said that if anything was ever named after him he wanted it to be a spring of water.
General Dodge replied: "We will name this Rawlins Springs."
Erected 1957 by Wyoming State Historical Society, Carbon County Chapter.
Location. 41° 47.301′ N, 107° 14.414′ W. Marker is in Rawlins, Wyoming, in Carbon County. Marker is on 5th Street near West Buffalo Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 5th Street, Rawlins WY 82301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Daley Flagpole (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wyoming State Penitentiary (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rawlins Springs (approx. half a mile away); Rawlins Paint Mines Civil War Cannons (approx. 6½ miles away); The Parco Inn (approx. 6½ miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is in front of the old Rawlins City Hall, now the Rawlins Police Department.
Also see . . . Rawlins Wyoming - History. General Grenville Dodge, commander of the survey party, immediately named it Rawlins Springs and the community that grew around it bore the same name. Later shortened to Rawlins, the town was incorporated in 1886 and was designated the seat of Carbon County. (Submitted on October 18, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 18, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.